Saturday, February 20, 2010

Artificial sweeteners

I just completed two weeks without using artificial sweeteners (except for the occasional piece of gum). I was relying too much on them and I know they cannot be healthy for me. I read Skinny Bitch and the part they had about them was hilariously inspiring. The main culprit in my diet was Crystal Lite. I used it for almost every drink. I am supposed to get in about 80-100oz of liquid a day and since surgery have not been able to drink plain water. For some reason, plain water just sits funny in my tummy and I sorta gag when I drink it.

So giving up my Crystal Lite was not easy. The first couple of days I tried to force plain water. Well, that didn't work. I ended up only getting 20oz the first day and probably less the second day. So I moved on to something else that has been working really well. I fill my container up with 3/4 water and then add a splash of 100% fruit juice for flavoring. I like Juicy Juice's Fruit Punch. I ordered Capella's Flavlet Water Drops in Peach. It is a flavor agent made from Stevia. I received it yesterday but didn't care for it. The flavoring reminded me of an artificial medicine flavor. So far the juice thing is working so I think I'll stick with that.

With giving up artificial sweeteners I thought I would feel refreshed and "clean" feeling, but I haven't felt much of a difference. It doesn't dissuade me from staying away from them, but I wish I was more energized or something! Actually, in the past 10 days I've only lost 3 lbs which is slow for me. I know it's hard to complain when I'm still losing but if I only lost 3 lbs every 10 days all the time, then I would only lose 9 lbs every month and it would take me 9 more months to reach goal. I know it's silly to worry about such a thing but when I am only eating crumbs and have been through so much I feel like I deserve to be at goal already!

One reason I think my loss has slowed this week is because of the lack of fluids I got in for those couple of days. Plus I may have been drinking more than I do now when I was using Crystal Lite. I've heard that if sleevers don't get all their fluids in the loss slows down. So I'll need to keep pushing myself. Now that I've figured out something that works it shouldn't be a problem.

In other news, the triplets come today for a visit! They are two years old now and it's unbelievable the little people they are becoming. Before they arrive, Steve and I are hitting the mall because I need to get my wedding rings resized before I lose them! I also need pants for work. I think I'm an 18 now, but sometimes I'm still a 20. I can't wait til I'm a 10!!

No comments: